Monday, 1 March 2010
#musicmonday: southwest of never
Southwest of never is a compilation of tracks by artists playing at this years south by southwest conference in Texas. All of the artists involved have given their tracks for free and all proceeds from the sales of the album will go to the Institute of Cancer Research.
South by southwest is a showcase for all kinds of music and that is reflected in the complilation which is eclectic in the best possible way, moving through different genres from folk to indie to funk- and opening your eyes to new artists. Certainly I immediately veered towards the acts I knew on first listening to the album, particularly broadcast 2000 and the brilliant kill it kid but I then found new bands and artists I didn't know and want to know more after listening to this. I fell particularly for Ólöf Arnalds beautiful song Klara and will be looking for more of her music and hoping that she comes to play in London soon.
The full track listing is:
1. The Boxer Rebellion - Evacuate
2. Broadcast 2000 - Pep Talk (acoustic)
3. Leggins - A Knight With A Sword Killed His Own Son
4. Ólöf Arnalds - Klara
5. Autumn Owls - A Thousand Blind Windows
6. Kill It Kid - Burst Its Banks
7. French Horn Rebellion - Beaches & Friends (Hey Champ remix)
8. Strait Laces - Where The Wolf Rome
9. A Classic Education - What My Life Could Have Been
10. Tiger! Shit! Tiger! Tiger! - Crime Wave
11. The Black Atlantic - Heirloom
12. The Minutes - Black Keys
13. The Watermarks - Fast Song
14. Bridges And Powerlines - The Ghost Types
You can buy the album for a very reasonable £5 for from http://neverenoughnotes.bandcamp.com here. It is currently only available as a download but it comes with artwork so you can burn yourself a CD and a front cover- which is a sweet touch I think.
For further information on the album go to www.neverenoughnotes.co.uk here.