Wednesday 10 June 2009

Wide Sargasso Sea

I thought this piece comparing Jean Rhys and Amy Winehouse was very interesting.

I wonder why woman with self destructive tendencies are never quite as romanticised as self destructive, artistic men?

Rebecca Hall seems to be everywhere at the moment and the interviews I have read have made me realise I missed this BBC adaptation of Wide Sargasso Sea, which she features in. Frustratingly it only seems to be available as a region 1 dvd- why do the BBC release things in America but not here?

2 comments:

Top Bird @ Wee Birdy said...

Man, my copy of Wide Sargasso Sea is packed up in storage back home in Sydney. Now I really miss it. I also missed the BBC adaptation. Might see if it's available on Love Film. xx

Rose said...

Top Bird, sorry! I don't know where my copy is either, probably in one of many boxes stored across the land.

I think I'm going to need to do whatever you do to your dvd player to be able to watch multi region dvds because there are lots I want that are only available on region 1 discs. Boo.