Friday 15 January 2010

Blur: no distance left to run





I was lucky enough to see the documentary film No distance left to run last night. It is a film in every sense- filled with drama, humour and beautiful cinematography.

No distance left to run is of course about Blur- through them it is about what it was like to be music artist from the early nineties to I suppose the time just before i-tunes conquered the world; about songs and gigs; life on the road and life in the bubble of fame but really it’s a film about friendship and particularly the friendship and love between Damon Albarn and Graham Coxon.

In Hyde Park last summer, as the sun was going down on a truly glorious evening in this beautiful city- and in Glastonbury weeks before in the darkness of that sacred place- it was Tender that felt like the zenith of this band and of the experience- and the relationship between these two men, who co-wrote and co sung that song is just that- tender.

No distance left to run is honest, at times searingly, uncomfortably and therefore fascinatingly so. All of these men are extremely interesting in their own ways. I thought Alex James was a revelation; back in the day he was always the fun one to me, the party animal, the one who didn’t seem terribly complex. To watch him talk about his friends feeling pain, losing them and finding them again- and the expressions on his face when the camera hangs just a moment longer than perhaps he realised was to see a man who probably looks for the light in life but who is more than he seems- and who is a very true friend.

I am sure with this level of access and input they could have made a whole series about this group but I think choosing to focus on their friendship was very wise because this is an interesting film not just for anyone interested in Blur or music but also in male friendships. I hadn’t thought about how different they can be from female friendships before watching this last night and how very pure and innocent they can be.

I don’t want to spoil anything so I won’t say anymore but just watch it if you can- and on the big screen if possible because the footage of the live scenes is great in the cinema. If you don’t manage to it’s going to released on dvd in February with a second disc featuring one of the Hyde Park nights- which should be the cherry on top of the cake that was those gigs.

Hums Oh my baby, oh my baby, oh- why, oh- my.



Images from the Guardian here.

8 comments:

The Daily Connoisseur said...

This looks so interesting- I really like Blur!

Mr London Street said...

I am very much no fan of Blur, but that might be because of my Damon Albarn story.

Metropolitan Mum said...

Want to watch that film!! I saw Blur life in Lausanne about 7 years ago. The location was tiny and it felt like they were playing in your living room. After the concert they invited the audience onto the stage.
I love Blur. Coffee and TV has been my hymn for a very long time. Very long ago :-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
lady jane grey said...

Thank you, Rose - thank you, thank you. Blur, it wasn't even so long ago, and still I'm so sentimental when listening to them.

Rose said...

Hi Jen- Am very impressed you know them- it's out on dvd in February so you can catch it then

Mr London Street- please can you tell us the story? if it's not publishable please can you e-mail and tell me?

Hi MM- how wonderful you got to go on stage. I love them too- and watching the documentary was a bit like watching my life! Coffee and TV is great, still one of my favourite videos ever and 'do you feel like a chain store practically floored' never fails to cheer me up when I am nearing the floor

Hi Lady Jane- what a lovely name- well you definitely need to try and see this on the big screen then- really glad you enjoyed it

Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Easily I assent to but I think the brief should acquire more info then it has.