Tuesday 13 January 2009

Lostmarc'h: Din- Dan




I find Din- Dan an enchanting name. It apparently means underbrush in Breton- I don’t think Din Dan sounds the slightest bit like what it means but I like it all the more for that reason I think- because it’s a little bit silly. Those two syllables roll off the tongue with such rhythm you can’t help but half sing them. Din- Dan. Like Tick- tock, up- down and ring ring they sound melodic and lift otherwise dreary sentences. You can imagine a little girl or boy smiling and saying Din Dan over and over.

So Din Dan is fun to say and I glad to report it is also a very happy uplifting scent. It is unapologetically upbeat and is almost sings on your skin. Like all good lemon and verbena scents it is very fresh, clean and alive. The lemons of Din Dan are not sharp and are more like the fat, almost too yellow sweet lemons I have seen and smelt in Southern Italy in the groves.

The top singing, laughing note reminds me of the lemon of Monsieur Balmain, a particular favourite of mine amongst the citrus family and an unsung gem for a man or woman in my opinion. What sets Din Dan apart for me is the peach note which makes the lemon less shrill, more rounded and sweeter, without ever being saccharine. This true peach, fresh and skin like scent also seems to prevent a generic cologne smell from setting in during the dry down and therefore keeps Din Dan interesting.

This is certainly a unisex scent, it would be tasteful without being boring on a woman and I think it could be quite dashing on a gentleman in the summer. The bottle is also terribly cute and would look lovely on your dresser on in your wash bag. I think it would be perfect to take to Deauville in early summer but the beauty of a scent like this is you can wear it any time, anywhere and it’s virtually always going to work.

6 comments:

Liberty London Girl said...

Thank you for stopping by to say hello!It's so exciting that everyone is excited to see my blog return! I've linked you too. LLGxx

Rose said...

Hi LLG, Thank you for stopping by in return and for linking me. Looking forward to reading your blog with my morning tea again! Rx

The Daily Connoisseur said...

I love lemon verbena so I would probably adore this scent... Also the weather is quite hot here right now so it sounds like it could be a good one for me!

Rose said...

Daily I'm jealous of your weather! It's still coat, gloves and scarf weather in London!
If you like lemon verbena I think you would love this because the peach and green notes give it a little unusual edge.

Anonymous said...

Dear Rose!
This is so cheering - although it's sunny today it is still so cold, and I adored your description of this fragrance. Going to Deauville in early summer - wow! I am going to investigate this range: as you say, the bottle would look great on a dressing table....
Best,
Linda

Rose said...

Dear Linda, Deauville in early summer sounds perfect! Yes I think the Din Dan bottle is Lostmarc'h's nicest. I hope you like the scents if you try them- R