Monday 13 December 2010

For Folk's Sake It's Christmas



I love Christmas but let's be honest, the music usually isn't cool. Happily the lovely people at For Folk's Sake, who know everything there is to know about good folk and good songs, have made their first album- and it's festive!

For Folk's Sake It's Christmas is available to download on a 'pay what you want' basis and is in aid of the Integrated Cancer Centre at King’s College London, which provides cancer care and undertakes research. Everyone involved in the album gave their time and considerable talents for free and together they've made a collection of songs that I am certain I will be listening to for many Christmases to come.

The full track listing is as follows:

1. Wise Children - I Saw Three Ships

2. Laura Hocking - I Am Christmas

3. Sam Airey - In The Bleak Midwinter/Lonely This Christmas

4. Dan Michaelson - Another Messy Christmas

5. Emily & The Woods - O Little Town Of Bethlehem

6. Evanjack - Homeward Bound For Christmas

7. Bears Den - We Three Kings

8. Tiny Birds - Christmas Is Where I'm From

9. Dear Winesburg - Cherry Tree Carol

10. Brooke Parrott - The Office Christmas Party

11. Josienne Clarke - Silent Night

12. Salwa Azar - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

You can listen to and download the tracks here.

All of the artists featured are really worth listening to- far more so than those who took over the media this weekend- so do check out their myspaces.

Do also follow For Folk's Sake's website and twitter feed for updates on all these artists and lots of other musical delights.

6 comments:

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Ooh, thanks!
I'm off to check this out right now.
Hope you are having a wonderful holiday season!

MyPerfumeLife said...

Thanks for this - I love getting the music right for Christmas. Was listening to some naff Christmas tracks only yesterday. Will check out the list you mention.

Don't you think Bruce Springsteen's Hungry Heart sounds like a Christmas track? Or is that just me?

Lizzie said...

Ooh, thanks! I'll have a listen!

Metropolitan Mum said...

Shriek!!! I just opened For Folk's Sake website and saw that Bright Eyes Are about to bring out a new album. I thought they were widely unknown. How cool!!!

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Merry Christmas Rose! I agree re: Xmas music- I tend to just listen to the classical renditions because they are less corny. Of course I also love Bing Crosby and Nat King Cole too. Have a great Christmas xx

Angela Cox said...

The Cherry Tree Carol is my favourite but has to be by Baez. I will check this out though it sounds good.