Sunday 14 June 2009

Shopping in Connaught Village: Viola and Wear Downey

There are few things I like so much as wandering around village London. This Saturday my destination was Connaught village, an oasis of independent shops, beautiful architecture and perfect London squares all conveniently located near a Baskin Robbins on Edgeware Road.

I love discovering new shops and streets- and that feeling of being not quite lost but not knowing what is going to be around the next bend; give me this kind of shopping and searching for treasure over the high street any day.

My first stop was the exquisite new boutique Viola. I walked up the three tiny black steps- perfectly sized for a ladies feet- and into wonderland. This shop gave me the same feeling I get in Liberty of almost bathing in delight at how many beautiful wares are available. Being me I was particularly taken with the Parfums de Nicolai fragrances- but the fashion, jewellery and bags all made my pupils large with lust. Come pay day I think it is extremely unlikely I won't be back there buying the grass green bag I so desire.

Then it was on to Wear Downery- which was another room I could quite happily have moved into and lived in like a studio flat come dressing room. Here I found intricate, very delicate hand knitted garments made by hand. There were also some other fantastic bits and pieces including Isaacy Manu shirts that appealed to my current obsession with colour and eighties asymmetric design but avoided the fancy dress eighties look that is more prevalent on the high street.

I can't wait to go back to both shops and fill my hands with bags- what a lovely way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

4 comments:

vicki archer said...

I shall have to take a peak there Rose, xv.

Rose said...

Hi Vicki, I think you'd love it- there's a real mix of architecture and it's lovely to wander down there via the back streets.

Jayne said...

How have I missed this little find! This sounds like the shops down Marylebone High Street. I must take a wander next time I am passing through, I always like to find new places to go. This is why I love London - you can live here all your life and there is always something new to discover. Thank you for sharing!

Rose said...

Hi Jayne, I know it's what I love about London too- there is always somewhere you haven't been. Yes I guess in feel it is quite similar to Marylebone- not as many shops yet but that's nice in a way- you can't feel so overwhelmed with all the things you want! plus you can always walk there afterwards...