Tuesday 26 October 2010

Lipstick rose- the cocktail



So far my meet ups with the lovely Metropolitan Mum have been very glamorous and FUN!

Firstly we went for the fashionistas and foodies favourite afternoon tea Pret a Portea at the Berkeley Hotel- you can read all about what we got up to on Metropolitan Mum's blog here.

Then last week we decided to head out after dark for some sophisticated cocktailing at the very hip, very award winning, 69 Colebrooke Row in Angel.

They take their drinks seriously at Colebrooke Row, employing a similarly scientific and fastidious but fun approach to Heston Blumenthal's with food. The menu is just right- there is a good amount of choice without it becoming overwhelming or in anyway cocktails by numbers. The full menu is here- and if you ask nicely they will make you the occasional off the list treat.

I don't think you will be surprised to know that I ordered the Lipstick Rose cocktail as soon as I arrived (I had pre perused the menu that afternoon when I was particularly needing cocktail hour to come quickly). A lipstick rose is apparently made of Raspberry & Violet Syrup with Rose Vodka topped with Champagne. You will notice there is lipstick on my glass in this picture- that isn't mine, it is edible lipstick that comes on the glass, nice touch isn't it?

The Lipstick Rose is very nice- I am a serious lover of cocktails but champagne ones do need to be good because messing around with the sacred nectar that is bubbly can be a travesty. This one isn't- it is a thoroughly lovely tipple for girls. It is also unnervingly like the perfume it shares a name with- Lipstick Rose from Frederic Malle. Obviously drinking perfume would actually be disgusting because it's mostly neat alcohol but you know what I mean.



I liked to see this trend though- and I wonder if we might see more cocktails like perfumes? You could make a grand, super deluxe Bellini inspired by the complexity of the peach in Mitsouko, with some brandy and perhaps some vanilla vodka. Some people might feel it is sacrilege to use perfume to inspire cocktails but I think they go together rather well- and the skills of a master taster and a master perfumer are really not unrelated.

8 comments:

Ines said...

I'm all for such a trend. :)
I was wondering what will you say about the LIpstick Rose once I saw there was champagne in it - I love champagne and sort of frown on putting anything in it, but this one sounds good.

Rose said...

Hi Ines- me too ;-) and I do completely agree- I do love a champagne cocktail but they really have to be good otherwise they are a total waste- and can be vile. This bar really do take cocktails seriously though- there was a white wine one which I was seriously dubious about and it was delicious

Vanessa said...

Sounds like a fun trend - a new type of kinaesthesia!

I think a Tonka Imperiale might make a good cocktail - or possibly more of a bedtime drink...

Mystica said...

A good cocktail is wonderful!

BTW is it my computer/or old age that your blogroll list very very light that it is difficult to read.

Metropolitan Mum said...

It was SO much fun to go there and my husband is SO jealous that I went before him :)
Anytime you want to do that again, just let me know... :)

Katy Josephine said...

You made me think of a cocktail that I have always wished was a perfume. The concept certainly makes sense to me!

Rose said...

Hi Flittersniffer- agreed and perhaps hot drinks could be another category- a nuit de noel would work rather well don't you think?

Hi Mystica- they are light grey, sorry if they are hard to read, it's okay on my machine but on my phone it is hard I agree! I just like dove grey...

Hi MM- I'd love to do it again- and I'm still hoping to join in the public house one evening too

Hi Josephine- which one?

MommyHeadache said...

Sounds like a pretty hot trend ....my favourite perfume is POISON and I'd love to have a cocktail made out of it (non lethal I mean!)